niedziela, 4 stycznia 2015

Recenzja: Jennifer Roberson "Sword-Singer"


Rzadko zdarza mi się zamieszczać recenzję kolejnego tomu, bo nieczęsto też trafiam na serie, które warte byłyby poświęcenia im uwagi :) Za drugą część "Sword-Dancer" Jennifer Roberson (o pierwszej pisałam tutaj) zabrałam się bez zapału, choć w miarę czytania coraz bardziej się wciągałam :)


It was here that Del and Tiger--she among the greatest of Northern sword masters, he a Southron warrior of legendary skills--must make their way to free Del from the life curse under which she traveled. For this was where she had slain her own sword master long before to blood her magical blade with the kind of power she needed to avenge the cruel destruction of her family. Outlawed by her action, she now had only a year to return to the Place of Swords to stand in sword-dancer combat and either clear her name and honor or meet her doom. Tiger, who had stood by Del through so many trials, would not forsake her now, and so, together, they begin the journey North. But between them and their rendezvous with destiny was a vast land replete with dangers of both sword and spell. And behind them stalked an unseen and deadly presence intent on stealing away the very heart and soul of their sword-dancer's magic...
Del i Tiger to tancerze miecza. Mistrzowie miecza można powiedzieć, trochę najemnicy, trochę wojownicy. Walczą, kiedy ktoś im płaci za wykonanie zadania, np. za ochronę, walczą na pokaz (w Kręgu, gdzie tańcząc trzeba przestrzegać określonych reguł), dla zachowania honoru czy ratowania życia.

Sama fabuła nie jest szczególnie oryginalna czy intrygująca - załatwiwszy swoje sprawy na gorącym Południu Del decyduje się wrócić w rodzinne strony, na Północ, aby tam stanąć przed sądem za swoje wcześniejsze wybory. A Tiger, choć zdecydowanie niechętny chłodnemu klimatowi oraz dziwnym obyczajom, podąża za nią, swoją "baschą". Oczywiście na każdym niemal kroku trafiają na przygody, raz po raz stają oko w oko ze śmiercią. I tak jak na Południu miała ona postać bezlitosnej pustyni oraz jej okrutnych mieszkańców, tak na Północy dominuje magia oraz związane z nią stwory (mam wrażenie, że czerpiąc pomysły autorka nie ograniczała się tylko i wyłącznie do europejskich mitologii).

Narratorem nadal jest Tiger, z każdą kolejną stroną bardziej marudny - brak mu słońca i upału, nie zna północnych zwyczajów ani nie wie, z której strony oczekiwać zagrożeń, a w dodatku zdany jest na przewodnictwo Del, co źle działa na jego męskie ego. Nauczył się szanować siłę oraz niezależność swojej towarzyszki, mimo to wciąż jest w nim dusza Południowca, przyzwyczajonego do męskiej dominacji.

Mimo to Tigera nie sposób nie lubić :)

"What do you want in a woman, Tiger?"
I froze. "What?"
"What do you want in a woman?" She hitched herself up on an elbow. "A soft, helpless thing, requiring your protection? Or a woman like Elamain was, hungry for constant bedding?" She sighed a little, looking over my shoulder toward the wagon. "Do you want a woman who cooks for you, cleans for you, bears you countless children... do you want a woman like Adara?"
"Yes," I answered promptly.
Her eyes came back to me. "Which? Like Adara?" Surprise flickered in her tone.
"No. Like all of them."
Del's mouth twisted. "You want three women. Why am I not surprised?"
I grinned. "You don't understand men, bascha."
"No," she agreed dryly, "I have met few examples worth the trouble of learning."
I ignored that. "There are times when softness in a woman appeals to me. There are times when an appetite like Elamain's rouses me. There are times when I think about raising a family. And there you are, bascha--all three women, but preferably in one body. I really don't want a harem... too much trouble when you move."

Największym atutem tej książki jest dla mnie subtelnie budowana relacja między głównymi bohaterami - poznajemy przede wszystkim opinię Tigera, jego perspektywę. On reaguje - jak mężczyzna. Ma swoje potrzeby, wymiguje się od niewygodnych pytań czy sytuacji, stara się sprawy upraszczać, a nie komplikować. Zachowanie Del, sporo od niego młodszej i zdecydowanie bardziej małomównej, czasem wydaje się kompletnie niezrozumiałe. Dziewczyna jest mocno skupiona na sobie - na winie, odpowiedzialności, ale i pragnieniu zemsty. Chwilami wydaje się zagubiona, może wystraszona czy przytłoczona poczuciem winy, chwilami jednak zamyka się w sobie tak bardzo, że rani Tigera i wszystkich dookoła. Chwilami trudno czuć do niej sympatię, nawet jeśli wziąć pod uwagę, przez co dziewczyna przeszła...

Bohaterowie unikają rozmów o sobie jako parze - Del musi jechać na Północ, a Tiger podąża za nią. Ona - jest zdeterminowana, niecierpliwa, raczej mało wyrozumiała. Owszem, martwi się o Tigera, kiedy ten ma kłopoty, trudno jednak wyczuć, na ile to wynika z przywiązania, a na ile z pragnienia, by pomógł jej w Staal-Ysta. Tiger natomiast... Marudzi, złości się na niepogodę oraz czającą się dookoła magię, ale też opiekuje się Del (na tyle, na ile ona mu na to pozwala). Nie narzucając swoje zdanie, lecz ustępując jej, kiedy to się wydaje dla niej ważne. Jednocześnie mężczyzna nie kryje tego, że wolałby wrócić z nią na Południe. Jest o wiele bardziej tolerancyjny, cierpliwy, nie kryje się też ze swoimi emocjami. Mówi otwarcie to, co myśli. W razie potrzeby - nie waha się zaryzykować dla Del życia. Co ona czuje do niego - trudno zgadnąć. Ostatnie rozdziały sprawiają, że czytelnik może zwątpić w uczciwość jej motywów.

I have never seen such a mixture of emotions in a woman's face and eyes. Hoolies, even in a man's. There was shock, pain and anger, disbelief, resentment, realization, and an odd, renewed resolve. I saw Delilah build a wall right in front of me, brick by brick by brick. Then she slapped the mortar in the cracks to make sure nothing could get through. Once the wall was built, she reached for her deadliest weapon. "You love me," she said.
For a moment the words meant nothing. All I heard was the tone, made up of strange and confusing subtleties. She was angry, was Delilah, but it was a deadly, calm anger shaped of ice instead of heat, and an odd accusation. I felt a little sick. Deep-in-the-gut sick.
Is this how it ends?
I drew in a slow, deep breath. "I ask you why--now, at this point, having done so much to make yourself a person instead of a woman--do you turn to a woman's weapon?"
It cracked the ice a little. Clearly I'd surprised her. "Weapon--"
"Weapon," I said firmly. "Now that it's out in the open, am I supposed to tuck my tail between my legs? Am I supposed to roll over in submission and bare my belly to you? Or is it meant mostly to castrate me, so I'll still be occasionally useful?" 

Even her lips were bloodless. "Is that what you think it means?"
"I think that's what you think it means."
Del's breath was ragged. She covered her mouth with one hand. The other clutched the front of her wool tunic. "Tiger--" she said "--help me--"
Slowly I shook my head. "If you want me to hold you now, as if nothing has happened--no. Because something has happened. If you want me to reassure you and tell you everything's fine, everything's forgotten--no. Because everything is not fine. You have to learn that not everyone can afford to be as single-minded as you. Not everyone can hack off bits of himself because it makes the life he chose easier." I wanted to touch her; didn't. "Not everyone," I said quietly, "can force herself to be someone she isn't, even when her conscience tells her not to."
W porównaniu do pierwszego tomu, ich "związek" rozwinął się - są partnerami w walce oraz w łóżku (o ile nie ścigają ich loki), lecz wciąż starannie omijają te ważne tematy. To, co ich łączy, jest szorstkie, surowe i niewypowiedziane. Autorka nie opisuje scen erotycznych: skupia się na zwrotach akcji, kolejnych walkach, coraz to nowych postaciach, lecz pomiędzy słowami, pomiędzy przerwanymi rozmowami pary bohaterów przewijają się ważne sprawy - jak te dotyczące roli kobiety i mężczyzny, tego, jak mogą kształtować swoje życie, jakie mają powinności wobec losu... Kwestie, które są aktualne niezależnie od tego, w jakim świecie toczy się opowieść.

Zakończenie okazało się... nieoczekiwane, żeby nie powiedzieć szokujące. Bardzo starałam się wczuć w sytuację Del - szczególnie biorąc pod uwagę to, co czekało ją w Staal-Ysta - ale ta końcówka naprawdę mnie do niej zniechęciła.
Del's face was ravaged.
"Tiger, please--" 

I shook my head. "You told me once I loved you. Maybe so. Maybe I do. But right now, with all of this, I find it very hard even to like you."
Del, too shocked, said nothing. I turned the stud loose and rode.
Dziewczyna od początku była zamknięta w sobie i zdeterminowana, by podążać za obranym celem, nieprzyjemnie głucha na uczucia czy potrzeby innych. Być może miała ku temu powody, być może to właśnie pozwoliło jej przetrwać, lecz tym razem posunęła się zbyt daleko.

Tom kończy się dość dramatycznie - wiem, że są kolejne, więc zapewne nie wszystko okaże się prawdziwe. Szkoda, że ta seria nie ukazała się w Polsce :/ Nie wiem, czy będę szukać tych dalszych części - czasem zakończenie nie jest tak ważne, jak droga do niego, a ja teraz nie mam ochoty zaakceptować Del.

Moja ocena: 8/10, przede wszystkim ze względu na świetnie przedstawioną relację między bohaterami
"I've seen you with Massou. I've seen you with other children. Only with him and only with them have I seen the other Del."
"Other Del," she said bitterly. "That soft, kind-hearted fool... the sweet, gentle soul so many men desire their women to be."
"Some, yes. Maybe a lot. Down South, yes. And there are times when I wonder what life would be like if you were another kind of woman." I shrugged. "But I don't want to change you, Del. Not completely. Maybe just a little... maybe just enough so that horse can unbow his neck and be a horse again." Now I did touch
her. I reached out and put a hand on her right shoulder, closing my fingers on the too-rigid tendons beneath her clothes. "I don't want you soft. But I don't want you this hard. It's tearing you apart."
Del was shaking, a little. "You don't know--you don't understand--you can't know what it's like--" She checked, shut her eyes a moment, dismissed the incoherence. "No man, especially a Southroner, can know how hard it is."
"No."
"No man can understand what it is to be a woman who doesn't belong because of her sex, and yet belongs because of her skill."
"No, bascha. He can't."
"No man can know what it's like to watch mother, father, uncles, aunts, sisters and brothers killed... and then be raped and humiliated, made to feel like a thing, stripped of name, of soul, of self--" She checked again, still shaking.
"You don't understand what it is," she said, "to know almost every man who sees you wants you--not you, not really you, just that body, because it pleases him... you don't know, Tiger, what it is to have men rape you with their eyes when they can't do it with their bodies... and then you go away and vomit."
It took all I had to speak. "No," I said, "I can't. But what I do know is that if you carry that guilt and grief forever, it'll make you into a monster. It'll strip you of humanity. You'll become Ajani's triumph."
Del's smile returned. "But I won't," she said in amusement. "I won't carry it forever. Only until I kill him. Until Ajani's dead."In silence, not daring to speak, I stroked back a strand of pale hair.
Thinking to myself: Oh, my poor Delilah... you have so much to learn.


Brak komentarzy :

Prześlij komentarz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...